Saturday, May 2, 2015

Techniques with felt

Hi Susan here.  My friend Jet (Jeanette) and I had fun playing with different felt products.

You thought vinegar had many uses, see what Jet and I came up with for different ways to use felt.  OK I admit not as many as vinegar but much more fun. 

Technique 1 – Felt as is 

Love you to the Moon and Back - Designed by Jet

  


Scrapbooking Felt layouts


My girlfriend loves pink and is having a hard time, so it was easy to make this card for her.
Cut dark pink cardstock 15 x 30cm and fold to make card base. Matt with white cardstock at 14.5 x 14.5cm.
Next cut pale pink cardstock to 14 x 14cm, stick Pink Stars and Scrolls Felt Ribbon down the left and side of card and then matt to card base.
Using Spellbinders Nestabilities Stars I cut two stars using the dark and light pink, adhere to card.
Adhere Metal Textured Stars Dark Pink to some of the Pink Stars and Scrolls Felt Ribbon to highlight the stars and tie in the Love You To The Moon And Back Silver Key. Finally add a single Metal Textured Stars Dark Pink in the bottom right hand corner to balance the card.



Technique 2 – Felt in a Strip 

Butterfly Birthday Card - Designed by Susan



Scrapbooking Felt layouts


Do you have some felt but does not match what you are making?  Simple just cut out the parts that you want to use.  For example this Black Christmas Tree & Scroll Felt Ribbon while great at Christmas; I needed something for a birthday card.  Actually all I needed was the scroll:


Scrapbooking Felt layouts

Scrapbooking Felt layouts

I cut out the scroll part of the felt. Don’t worry about the Christmas tree; I will cover that with a flower.


Scrapbooking Felt layouts

Stamp a butterfly onto a white circle and stamp another and cut out to add dimension to the first butterfly.

  

Scrapbooking Felt layouts




Mount black and white card onto a white base.
Scrapbooking Felt layouts






Die cut out some circles in black and white and mount the stamped butterfly.
Scrapbooking Felt layouts




Adhere the black felt strip down the side of the card.  Cut off excess felt.

Scrapbooking Felt layoutsScrapbooking Felt layouts

  
Adhere the flower and other butterflies and stamp "happy birthday".

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thoughts for You Tag - Designed by Jet

Wanting to use a little more of Pink Stars and Scrolls Felt Ribbon but in a different way, I decided to whip up a quick and easy tag.

Scrapbooking Felt layouts

Scrapbooking Felt layouts



Firstly I die cut a tag out of dark pink cardstock using Sizzix, Tim Holtz Alterations, Tag and Bookplates die. Then cut another tag from white cardstock and trim down on the edges and distress.

Then die cut two shapes from Spellbinders, Nestabilities, Scalloped Circles, using the dark pink and white cardstock again.  I glued some Tim Holtz Distress Glitter, Clear Rock Candy over most of the circle, to form a base for later.
 Using four x 15cm lengths of Girlfriends Ribbon I used some double sided tape and made simple loops.  Then I taped them together to form a flower. 

Scrapbooking Felt layouts 
Cut a piece of the Pink Stars and Scrolls Felt Ribbon to get a scroll pattern.


Scrapbooking Felt layouts



Adhere the white tag to the pink tag, adhere the pink circle. Adhere the ribbon loop flower towards the top of the tag.

Adhere a layer of seed beads to the scalloped circle. Once dry, adhere another layer in the centre of the beads, to make a raised centre. Knot some Bakers Twine Blossom Light Pink And White to a Dragonfly Silver Charms and adhere to dry bead centre. Once dry, adhere to centre of the flower.

Adhere a single seed bead to Friends Charms and let dry. Stamp the sentiment of “thoughts for you”.  Stick down the scroll from Pink Stars and Scrolls Felt Ribbon. Knot some Bakers Twine Blossom Light Pink And White to Friends Charms and adhere in the corner.


Finally, loop through some Girlfriends Ribbon to finish of your tag.
Enjoy!


Technique 3 – Felt as a Stencil



Mother’s Treasure Canvas - Designed by Susan

 

 

 



Another way to use the Felt Ribbon is to use it as a stencil.  With this canvas I cut three (3) strips of the White Stars and Scrolls Felt Ribbon and placed on top of the canvas.  Do not adhere to canvas as you need to remove it.



I then sprayed Glimmer Mist onto the canvas, using the felt ribbon as a stencil. 


  

 

Remove the felt ribbon and you are left the stencilled pattern background.  Put aside to dry or if you are impatient like me you, can use a heat gun to dry.

Next I matted the canvas with several layers of black, pink and white card. Note:  I micro-matted the black card (bottom layer of the matting).  I also micro matted the photo to black card.  Micro matting is making a very thin border.



Once the matting and photo are place, adhere the pink pearl garland to the canvas. 



Adhere the pink rose buds in place. 



I adhered the Antique Silver Leaf Charms in place with silicon glue
(eg Scrap Dots).  Using
a big glob of silicon glue, I adhered the pink roses/flowers and white roses in place.  


As the glimmer mist has a shimmer finish, I also added some glimmer mist to the paper flowers to bring in the "shimmer" elsewhere.






Lastly I adhered the Cap It "Pink" - Mother's Treasure to the canvas.




All finished ......

But don't forget to use the coloured felt ribbon on another project or use a stencil again and again.

 

 


Technique 4 - Felt Shapes 



Jet ventured into the world of Felt Shapes and other wonderful pieces from my2angels to create this stunning layout.

Mother’s Love Scrapbooking Page - Designed by Jet



With Mother’s Day coming up, I wanted to celebrate the love I have for my sons, so, obviously I wanted to scrapbook as soon as I saw
Filigree Wishes “I Believe” pink.  

I wanted to use the pink as it’s my favourite colour and I didn’t want a little detail like I only had boys get in the way, lol.




Firstly I grabbed some KaiserCraft paper, trimmed it to 30 x 30cm to mount onto a piece of black cardstock.  I printed my photos in black and white to be able to go with my chosen paper and the design I had in my head.
Next I die cut a Sizzix, Tim Holtz Alterations, Styled Labels to mount my Filigree Wishes “I Believe” pink to.



The photos are matted on pale blue, white, kraft and black cardstock, not your usual combination for babies, but I was celebrating my love for the boys and was after a bit of a “pop”.
 


I cut a Rosette from Sizzix, Tim Holtz Alterations, Paper Rosette in the pale blue cardstock.






 A great, quick way to assemble the rosette is the fold it up, glue it into it’s circle, put down some hot glue on your non-stick craft mat, place the rosette over, pulling it into shape and pop the centre piece on top. All done! 






Taking a butterfly from 18 Mulberry Paper Butterflies and Flower White Mix, I brushed some Tim Holtz Distress Ink, Broken China over the outside edge of the wings and then misted with Perfect Pearls Mist to blend and soften the ink as well as tying it in to my “shiny” pale blue cardstock.
 
 
Sizzix, Tim Holtz Alterations, Vintage Market was the die I used for my title of “My Boys”, which also nicely tied into the font of “Post Card” on my paper.  I added some flowers to my label at the top to help anchor it to the page.
I then added flowers (some pink to tie in my Filigree Wishes “I Believe” pink), my rosette, a White Scroll Felt Hearts,  18 Mulberry Paper Butterflies and Flower White Mix, White Pearl Garland made into loops and straight “stems”.


To continue tying in the fact my pale blue cardstock was shiny I used an Iridescent Medium to dry brush over the edges of my flowers.
I added a strip of stickles to my butterfly’s body.

Finally, I stamped my boys names at the bottom and how could I finish my page without adding a charm??? I used Made With Love Envelopes tucked into the bottom of my arrangement.

 

 

 

 

 

  Hope these have given you a few ideas of using my2angels felt ribbons and shapes ... dont' forget they are all half price at the moment 

PLUS every $10.00 you spend before the 10th May puts you in the draw to win a Cuttlebug

 

 

No comments: