Thursday, December 11, 2014

Antique Wings and Things Framed Birthday Card

Like the vintage look? Doesn’t matter if you don't - you will love this Antique Wings and Things kit regardless once  you see how stunning (and versatile) it is.




Hi, Susan here again.
 I used this wonderful kit to make a birthday card with a difference.

Here's how I made this card:


Step 1 - Alter Wooden Frame

I picked up a cheap frame from Ikea and altered it to match the
vintage style Antique Wings and Things kit. 
Take the frame apart and lightly sand the frame.  Paint the frame (I painted it cream).  Once dry, sand edges (heavily sand some parts of the edges).  I then randomly rubbed Walnut Stain Distress Ink in places and where the edges were heavily sanded, I rubbed in Inka Gold – Old Gold.


After painted and sanded, randomly rub in Walnut Stain Distress Ink and Inka Gold.

Step 2 - Prepare Back Piece

Cut a piece of thick card the same size as the inside of the wooden frame. 
Paint with Distress Paints (I used Picket Fence).


Using stencilling or modelling paste, stencil your chosen design onto the back piece. 
(I did not stencil all over, however you may wish to - or you may want to stencil the wooden frame instead)






Once stencilling/modelling paste is dry, I painted again with Picket Fence Distress Paint.  Once paint is dry, randomly spray areas with Perfect Pearls/Glimmer Mists. I used Heirloom Gold, Perfect Pearls, Bronze and Powder Blush. If your colours are too strong, use a tissue to remove some colour and once dry, you can also spray all over with Perfect Pearls.

If you don’t have these, you can make your own sprays using Perfect Pearls powders.

A HINT:  If you are impatient like me,
you can use a heat gun to speed up the drying process.



Step 3 - Colour Flowers (if not already the colour you want)
 My2Angels has many flowers (white, cream or coloured) for you to select from.
I changed the white roses using the some of the same colours I used for the back piece - Powder Blush, a small amount of Copper and lastly Perfect Pearls.  I painted just the edges of the rose petals with gold paint using a dry paint brush.

Step 4 - Alter Other Pieces

I also used some muslin and a white crochet doily, both of which I changed the colour of with tea
to give a more vintage look.

I found a cheap metal frame, which I spray painted cream.  Once dry, I lightly sanded the raised parts of the frame and rubbed in Inka Gold – Old Gold onto the raised areas.



Step 5 - Put Frame Card Together

Adhere your prepared back piece to the wooden frame backing and place back into the wooden frame.
Adhere strips of pearls around the inside edge of the wooden rame.

Stamp 'Happy Birthday' onto cream card and cut out with circle punch. Adhere into brass frame from the kit and adhere the epoxy circle on top of this. Adhere to wooden frame.


Stamp sentiment onto the frame (if you wish).

Adhere an Antique Bronze Large Flower Filigree to the bottom of the frame.  Adhere a piece of muslin onto the filigree flower.  

 Using Scrap Dots Silicon Glue (or similar), adhere the white roses which have been coloured.  

 You can then stick pieces of Ivory Pearl Garland in between the roses, making sure they are pushed into the silicon glue.


Finish putting together as per the sample pictured.



No comments: