Sunday, July 27, 2014

Planning doesn't always work...

Hi ladies! Some amazing and totally time consuming things are happening in our lives here right now, and one of them is the birth of DH's very first grandchild - a sweet little boy. I'm thinking this makes me a first time step-grandmother - a daunting thought!
It's very exciting, and lovely to have so many new baby photos to scrap! LOL! As if I've finished with scrapping the thousands of photos of my own children as babies, toddlers, teenagers and adults!!

As is so often the case, when I sat down to start this layout I had a very definite idea in my mind. The predominant colour was going to be baby blue, with some brown & beige accents, and the charms were going to be silver. I pulled out my Mini Sweetheart Baby Blue Heart kit, and some blue papers and I chose my embellishments accordingly. As is also often the case, what I ended up with was this....

Scrapbooking Baby Layouts

OK, I know...nothing like the plan.

The background paper is from 7 Dots Studios ''Nature Walk'' - a very neutral. lightly patterned piece. 
I started by adding a bit of Walnut Stain Distress Ink to the edges, then used a Basically Essential stencil to add a pattern in the same coloured ink. After that I used the same stencil with Mother of Pearl Champagne Modelling Cream, adding some texture and shine. Finally a light spray and a few flicked spots with Kiwi Perfect Pearls Mist.
That was when I decided that I wanted to make this a monotone layout and gave up any thoughts of blue. I took the Mini Sweetheart Baby Blue Heart kit, and, following the precise instructions included, changed the colour of the heart, the background, the sugar beads, the silver charm and the ribbon. LOL - luckily I have two of these beautiful little kits and so I can make up the baby blue one later! First I painted the chipboard with Antique Linen Distress Paint, followed it with a few swipes of Walnut Stain Distress Ink on the edges and a coat of Crackle Accents.

When it was dry I attached it to the background chipboard and filled the space with Golden Crunch Sugar Beads. Instead of the pale blue organza ribbon I attached the Bronze Heart Locket charm with a doubled piece of string tied into a bow. 

Scrapbooking Baby Layouts


I did use the piece of muslin that was included in the kit under the heart, and I added a little more under the top of the photo. There are two thin layers of paper framing the photo and I die cut some scalloped strips to use. All are edged with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. A piece of twisted jute ribbon adds interest and dimension underneath the photo, and several torn strips of Idea-Ology Tissue Tape compliment the butterfly theme on  the ''Butterfly Kisses'' die cut.
This and all of the other paper elements on this layout are from the Nature Walk 6x12 Sticker Sheet, 6x12 Word Stickers and 6x12 Die Cut Elements sheets. A huge variety of gorgeous bits and pieces to choose from!

Scrapbooking Baby Layouts


To balance the layout I added a small cluster in the top right hand corner. The elements used are the same as those in the body of the layout, with the addition of a Large Antique Bronze Spoon, it's bowl filled with Sugar Beads, and the layout's title - Joy - made from chipboard letters treated to the same processes as the now not-so-Baby Blue Heart.

Scrapbooking Baby Layouts

Fortunately there are a few more photos of this charming young man at my fingertips, and I have another plan. There are some baby blue papers somewhere in my stash, a cute my2angels embellishment kit and somewhere on my desk there are some silver baby charms.

Nothing ever turns out as planned...but it doesn't matter :)

Michele xx



2 comments:

Mazz's Scrap O'Clock said...

firstly Michele huge congrats to you and dlh on the birth of a bonny sweet prince...secondly congrats on a gorgeous BROWN and BEAUTIFUL LO...no mine NEVER turn out the way I start out either LOL and NO it really doesn't matter coz at the end of the day its only YOU the knows and only YOU that has to be happy with your own art - hugs 'n' hearts xxx Mazz xxx

Geli said...

This is so pretty and mine hardly ever turn out the way I planned it either!