Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Kaisercraft Limelight in store now with some DT inspiration

Just arrived - serene botanicals and new templates.

Life in the LIMELIGHT

Nothing is quite as peaceful and calming as green botanicals and fresh smelling flowers.  Let "Limelight" bring an element of serenity to your next project with its natural charm and beauty.  Kaiser are calling it gardening without the dirt and bugs.





Also in-store now are new Kaisercraft 12 x 12 Templates.
Very popular styles and at the great price of only $6.50



DT's Michele and Geli have been creating up a storm with the new Limelight ...


 Hi Ladies,

Michele here again, this time with a layout using Kaisercraft's LIMELIGHT collection.
 
LIMELIGHT is very green - and green is not really within my comfort zone - but in some way these papers reminded me of how deep and rich the colours are in my garden at the end of summer; and the sentiments expressed in the quotes remind us to take time out and enjoy the small moments in life. So I went outside and took a few photos and this layout was born. I have to admit that it is an unusual one for me, and I'm not sure I even like it very much ... but anyhow, here's how I put it together.


At first I was going to use the reverse of VIBRANT as my background ... a no brainer really, great for backgrounds with its grey woodgrain pattern, but I had a moment of inspiration (or not) and decided that - since we have a brick wall and not a paling fence at our house - I would use Morter from the Base Coat Collection instead. 
A large piece of the olive green reverse of LEARN covers a bit more than half of the page. The brick pattern in the top and bottom corners was created using the Twiddleybitz Bricks Template and Ferro Metal Effect Textured Paint in both Copper and Iron.
 
The leaf shapes over the bricks are courtesy of some sticky- backed vinyl masks I have had forever. It would be just as effective to use a paper mask if you have one of them. I stuck them to the page first, then peeled them off (carefully) while the paint was still wet to give the impression of foliage against the brick wall. 

 
After the paint had dried, I decided that the bricks really were way too bright for me. Maybe I should have stuck with the paling fence after all?? LOL! I stuck my now washed masks back onto the paper for some more leaf shapes and gave the whole background a thin whitewash of Gesso, letting some of the white pool in the cracks between the Ferro bricks and thus blurring the edges of the green paper a little.
 
 
You can see where the leaf masks were in the photo below...
 
 
Next, I raided the LIMELIGHT COLLECTABLES pack and strung three tags with appropriate quotes onto a piece of string, added two thin banners to mix up the lengths. They are all mounted on Dimensional Tape, which allows the string to loop through them freely. On the end is an Antique Silver Leaf Charm which I coloured with a light rubbing of Jade Inka Gold. A ticket and another of the banners form the base of the small cluster at the top of the page.

 
My photos all have a border of distressed Core-dinations Nightfall cardstock. In turn, they are mounted on two layers of the reverse of FIRST STEP - one is attached with a small bulldog clip, one with a bright green paperclip and the middle one is wrapped in string with another Inka Gold Jade coloured Antique Silver Leaf Charm dangling from it .
 
Tucked in-between the layers at the bottom are three patterned strips. The numbers and the butterflies are both manufacturer strips from the bottom of the patterned papers and the tape measure is a sticker from the LIMELIGHT 12 x 12 STICKER SHEET. I cut mine in half lengthwise to make it thinner. Also in there, is a pediment die cut from the reverse of DAWN.

 
My photos are very busy looking, so I kept the embellishments as simple as I could. Various leaves -  some are die-cut from the LEARN paper and some are either fussy cut (also from LEARN) or taken from the COLLECTABLES pack and of course some flowers. Three Mini Gardenias - green, olive and white - and a few cream and wine Cherry Blossoms.
 
There is also a wooden heart tucked in there - inked with a bit of Victorian Velvet on the edges and covered in Crackle Accents. The crackle was taking ages to dry in the rainy weather, so I blasted it with the heat gun to get this milky, bubbled effect. A few glass cabochons finished it off - tiny ones that look like water droplets and a larger one glued over a tiny bird from the COLLECTABLES pack.
 
Embrace the green - winter will be here soon enough!

Michele x
 

Geli here,   
I don't normally go crazy over green, but this new Limelight collection made me change sides. I love it and have used just about every scrap of the papers and Collectables I was given. They are perfect for masculine projects.


For my first layout, I cut out the section with botanical drawings from the front of the Arise paper(though they look great, they didn't go with the theme), flipped the paper over and used the back as a centre strip.
 
 It's all sticky-taped together on the back. 
The messy background was done with a splat stencil and Distress ink (Black Soot) applied with a blending tool. There is a bit of that in the top left corner too. 

The big splat is the perfect background for a cluster of die cuts from the Limelight collectables. An edge from the Classique frame kit's felt frame grounds it all nicely.

 
 I made a rough rosette from denim: Simply gather-stitch along one side of a 5cm wide strip of denim, pull the thread and gather-stitch until it forms a circle. Sew the 2 ends together and fray the outer edge.
 
 

In the middle sits a ric-rac rosette. Take 2 lengths of ric rac ribbon (on sale now) and braid them together. Just pretend you're braiding hair with only 2 bunches of hair. Some people sew them together, but I found the zig-zag patterns makes them stick together all by themselves. Once the whole piece is braided, roll them up and glue as you roll, keeping the circle flat like a disc. It's really easy. The ric-rac comes in 2m lengths and I made 2 large rosettes from that (this one is the smaller of the two).


A few small embellies finish it off: a boy charm (find a similar one here), a few cogs from the gadget gear cogs (these will be a must-have in my stash for a looooong time), a LOL tag and a glass cabochon
 

A vintage button fits in the cog charm perfectly! Actually, it is simply a worn-out button that was just the right shade of green, that's all. But vintage sounds much classier!

♥♥♥
The Limelight collection goes well with browns too!
 

For the next layout I made a grungy background by cutting out some cogs and painting over it with gesso, swiping some distress ink over it, masking, stamping, Inka Golding... I just kept going until it felt grungy enough. 
 
Unfortunately it was night-time and I didn't take photos of any of this.


 As you can see, the Limelight papers fit that perfectly too! I cut a wavy strip from the Today paper and paired it with the reverse (green) and some old yellow paper to match the lemon theme.
 
And just in case you're wondering why Joel is happily biting into a lemon, here is the reason:

GELI


No comments: