Monday, September 2, 2013

An Altered Box for my Treasures

Happy September ladies!
 Michele here again at last, with a box I altered using some old Kaisercraft Sweet Nothings papers and lots of pretty embellishments from my2angels.

My box started its life at my house last Christmas, when DS bought his lucky GF a collection of Calvin Klein perfumes. It was purple and shiny ... very pretty, but screaming to be altered. 
It's one of those lovely, solid boxes with a lid that snaps down ... held in place by some cunningly hidden magnets. Perfect for altering and using to store your treasures. I asked permission before I carried it off to my craft room though.



First, I covered all the edges with some black and white tape - I used Ideaology Tissue Tape, but Tracy has a great selection of Love my Tapes Black & White Type which would work the same way - then to combat the shiny purple surface and keep the tape stuck down, I gave the whole thing a coat of Matte Multi Medium.



After that dried, I covered all the flat surfaces with pretty papers, making sure there were no air bubbles left by using an Inkssentials Inky Roller Brayer. I inked the edges using an Inkssentials Ink Blending tool with Vintage Photo and Black Soot Distress Inks.


Using my new favourite medium - Viva Deco Modeling Creme - in Mother of Pearl Rose and Mother of Pearl, together with a Damask stencil, I added some texture to the top and bottom of the box. I also stamped a little bit here and there with a script stamp and Vintage Photo Distress Ink.


Before sticking the paper to the spine of the box, I used a Cropodile to punch eight holes into it and set an eyelet into each of them. I added some more Modeling Creme and then threaded some organza ribbon through the holes. I was going to use the Dark Brown ribbon in the photo, but in the end, I decided to go with Cream instead.


Because the opening and closing of the box is tough on the papers and they can start to look a bit shabby, I reinforced the edges back and front with some Cream Cotton lace.


Then came the fun part ... embellishing!
First the inside. 


The left hand side (underneath the lid) can be much more dimensional than the bottom, so I started by using my Martha Stewart Doily punch (thank you DH, and bless your last business trip to the USA) to make a 6'' doily out of a piece of paper from a 6.5"Paper Pad. I cut it in half, and attached the first half on the left, over the top of a scrap of white Muslin (dyed cream in a cup of tea). The other half will be used later on the lid.

At the centre of my cluster of flowers is a my2angels Pink Framed Sentiment. I have stamped the cardstock banner with ''thinking of you,'' using a Vintage Photo Distress Marker to ink up the stamp. Around it, there are various pink and white flowers ... Pink & White Cherry Blossoms, White Cherry Blossoms, White Roses, Light Pink Roses, Rose Roses..., some pieces of an old pink pearl flourish and some elements from the Sweet Nothings Collection Pack. The bird and the border are popped up on dimensional squares. The edges are all inked with Vintage Photo.


The base is plainer - after all, my treasures will be filling it to the brim! Just a few layered tags to add a bit of interest, a piece of Cream Organza ribbon and a few more pearls.


Similarly, the back of the box will need to sit flat on a table, so the embellishments are the same as on the inside of the box. Some pearls, a few layered elements and a Cream Organza ribbon through the hole in the tag.


The spine looks very pretty with the addition of  some dangling pearls and charms and some flowers that appear to have spilled over from the front. My photo does not show them to advantage, but the pearls and charms are attached to the centre of the bow using an Idea-ology Swivel Clasp. There are two charms - a new Silver Strawberry and a pair of Silver Scissors.


The lid is the most decorated section. The other half of my punched doily, again attached over a piece of muslin - forms a backing for a key hole and a pretty knob for opening. More of the same flowers form the biggest embellishment cluster, with the addition of a few larger ones from my overflowing flower stash and a few more pieces of pearl flourish.


I used two of Tracy's new Silver Photo Corners on the lid. The etched pattern stands out more when you draw on it with a Black Soot Distress Marker, then rub off the excess with a paper towel. An Idea-ology Ornate Plate peeps out of the flowers, with ''Vintage Memories'' cut from a Darkroom Door word strip inside it. I covered this with Glossy Accents. Peeping out at the top, over a butterfly stamp and a few die cut leaves, is a my2angels Silver and Pink Teapot Pin. I do treasure my cup of tea!

Finally, in the top corner with a single Pink and White Cherry Blossom , is a beautiful, special Silver Love you to Infinity Charming Key Chain that Tracy very kindly made for me. I replaced the "Love you to Infinity'' wording with ''Forever'' and added three tiny pearls to the top of the key. (Shhhh....if you are really nice to her, I think Tracy might make things especially for you too!)


So here are a few of my treasures inside the box ...


... I'll need to get a few more to fill it, but Christmas isn't TOO far away!!

Michele xx



No comments: